Monday, June 29, 2009

The Tropical Living Zoo

When they told me about the opportunity to come here, the first thing I researched was the weather. I wasn't about to sacrifice summer to get a winter. When I found out that the winter here was around 20C (~70C), I told myself I can do this.

Apparently, Brisbane is the subtropics, which explains the warm "winter" and the palm trees here. It does get cold, but I've had fall weather in Maryland that has been farther colder. The sun is always out and the skies are absolutely majestic. Clear blue skies. I intend to take a lot of photos (I bought a 8GB memory card), but because of internet charges, I might wait till the end to post them.

Another thing about Brisbane is the random animals walking about. One day, I saw a brush turkey crossing the road as I was being driven around. In Maryland (my home state), you swerve to avoid running over a squirrel. Here, it's turkeys and kangaroos. I have seen other animals here, especially birds. My favorite animal besides that bush turkey has to be pelican in the large lake right by my residence and department.

Over the weekend, I stayed in my director's home over the weekend. His house is built within the trees and with a style that's Balinese-influenced, it has the look of a jungle house. He told me that he wouldn't be surprised if there were pythons in the tree that run through his house, hence why I should make sure to close the many doors in the house. He claims he had to kill a wood spider (about the size of my palm) that ventured into his house. Thankfully, pythons are not poisonous, they just kill by constriction.

With Australia's reputation as a haven for dangerous animals, it is going to be a struggle to stay alive. If I go a week without hearing from me, fear the worst.