Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A day out in the city (continued)

"Always compare everything to New York"

I just got back fom my second day of venturing out into Da City. After another awful dinner here, I went out this time hoping to find some place cheap to eat at and also do some walking so that I can begin to orient myself in this city. After walking quite a bit, I ended up deciding on this kebab/pizza place. I paid A$7 ($5.64) for two slices of pizza and A$3 ($2.42) for a bottled drink. The thin, flimsy and soggy made the pizza awful and the drink was bad too. I regret breaking my personal rule that I would never eat pizza outside of U.S. and Italy. And I found out that orange and mango make a terrible combination for a soft drink/soda/pop.

When I was walking around yesterday, I saw our empty the streets were. Today, something monumental dawned on me. The streets were full of idle taxis; in fact, there were more taxis than I saw people in most of the streets. I was walking around the downtown, which look glitzy in a New York way. However, the city looked like a mini-New York and not just that, but a mini-New York that is asleep. A better New York comparison might be to places like the Financial District where there is still that New York glitz, but on a weeknigh
t, they are rarely populated.

I wrote earlier that I would wait until I came back to post photos because of quotas for data uploads/downloads in the country. But, I am going to post photos of the currency here because I think it is cool.
Three things to note:
  • That is a lot of color
  • The A$2 coin is smaller than the A$1 coin
  • The smallest coin is 5c (whoa!!!)